Thursday, November 15, 2012

Roll On...


Have you ever listened people talk about Thanksgiving, and what their favorite food is?  It seems that the conversation skips around the planet kind of like this:  

dark meat - vs - white meat, whether you like (or hate) yams, whole or jellied cranberry sauce, stuffing (or not), was the gravy just right, should the mashed potatoes be lumpy or totally creamy, your favorite pie, the (in)famous green bean casserole, cheese-stuffed celery (weird, I know - but that's a requirement in my husband's family), and then....

Finally...

The Rolls.

They are spoken of in hushed and reverent tones.  And there's usually one family member that is given that job (kind of like a badge of honor).  

In Utah, everyone talks about Lion House Rolls.  The Lion House was the home of Brigham Young, second prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints (the Mormons).  The recipe is all over the internet, in several cookbooks published locally, and in most Ward Cookbooks.  

Yet, with all that information floating around - it's still a big mystery just HOW they get them to roll up so perfectly.  So - as my Thanksgiving offering to those who might be reading - here is the "secret".



It's about a 4 minute video - and don't blink, or you'll miss it.  Genius.  I need to try it with the gajillions of roll recipes I've tried over the years.  You'll find my favorite roll recipes in the labels at the bottom of the page entitled "rolls" and "breads".  I'm sure you have a favorite roll recipe too (and that's why you are that person of honor who gets to bring the rolls)

Here are a few of our favorites...  (and have a memorable Thanksgiving!)

Sometimes the easiest rolls come from my favorite bread recipe.
Here's the LINK (from one of my early attempts at posting years ago...)

A great all-purpose roll that can be made into a sweet roll, OR a dinner roll.
Conference Crescents

Freezable Cool Rise Rolls - always turn out.
(from my son-in-law's mother, this is what I'm making this year)

Texas Roadhouse Rolls
Especially good when they are HOT from the oven.

Sour Cream Rosettes - another roll that freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment