Monday, September 12, 2011

Chicken Alfredo in Zucchini Crust



Change from the traditional pasta to a puffy zucchini crust under everyone’s favorite - Chicken Alfredo.  There are three very simple components to this recipe - the crust, the sauce, and the topping.  When all three combine, it’s a great marriage.  The tender crust, laced with just enough zucchini is a welcome switch from starchy pasta.


Two years ago I posted a recipe using zucchini called Pizza Bake w/Zucchini Crust.  It’s one of those surprising recipes that you don’t expect to be wowed by.  I’ve been craving that recipe for a few weeks now, but didn’t want to overcommit to the crowd-size pan it makes.  

I decided to try making it with a Chicken Alfredo twist.  As I thought about that, I knew it would need a nice topping to make up for the bland appearance of the alfredo.  Since I love anything finished with panko, it was my choice for the topping - combined with a little grated parmesan and a touch of butter.

My daughter has been telling me I should try out her husband’s legendary family Alfredo Sauce (a creation of her sister-in-law, Loralyn Jewell).  This was a good opportunity to do that.  I slimmed it down a touch by reducing the cream by half with milk - and it was delicious all by itself...

Using frozen chicken tenders made this extra fast (ready to slice in 20 minutes)  No defrosting required, and the meat was tender and just the right size when sliced (instructions are included in the recipe).  

Yes, zucchini is singing it’s swan song right now (am I the only one who uses that phrase anymore?) - and you may not want to see it in your kitchen for a long time.  But give it a nice farewell by using it in something memorable - one more time.

For the full recipe - go to:

1 comment:

  1. Such a fun way to get the kids to eat veggies. They love chicken alfredo.

    ReplyDelete