Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Peach Glazed Fruit Salad





I don’t say this about most recipes, but I will about this one.  I haven’t found anyone who does NOT like it.  If this is next to several salads on a buffet - it will be gone at the end of the event.  Not sure why.  Must be a combination of the flavors, colors, and the use of fresh fruit.  The glaze ties it all together.

I wish I could remember where I picked up this recipe.  It’s so simple, it’s almost redundant to write instructions.  But, for the sake of all us “recipe Nazis” out there that need it - I’ll include them.


I’ve taken this to several buffets recently.  Why?  Because fresh strawberries are in season.  I suppose it would work with other fresh fruits, but the strawberries really shine with the clear glaze.  


Another reason I use this is for convenience.  Canned pie filling can dress up fruit - even if it’s not at it’s prime (maybe a day or two older than you prefer).  Who doesn’t have bananas that are starting to spot, grapes that might be less crisp, or berries that have been overlooked in the refrigerator.  

Any combination of fresh fruit should work - but be cautious with kiwi and pineapple.  The enzymes in these two fresh fruits can wreak havoc on any thickened sauce (jello included).  If you use canned pineapple - no worries there.  The processing destroys the enzyme that “digests” the thickening agent in the canned pie filling.


My daughter tried this recipe with canned pineapple and mandarin oranges (of course with fresh strawberries - which are a must).  She just made sure they were well drained before adding to the other fruit.

One can of peach pie filling can stretch a long way - so this salad can serve more by adding additional berries and other fruit.  The glaze just keeps on giving.

For the tips and suggestions that make this a "recipe" - go to:
www.changeabletable.com


No comments:

Post a Comment