Thursday, September 20, 2012

Homemade Flour Tortillas





Years ago as a young mom, I just assumed it was rocket science to make your own flour tortillas.  Had I known they were this easy, we would have had them as often as sliced bread.  (Sorry kids - I didn’t know!)  With a food processor they’re ready in minutes, by hand - just a few more.  Delicious!



My sister-in-law, Peggy, was one of those iconic moms that did EVERYTHING.  You know the type of person I’m talking about - totally ‘together’.  She made everything by hand, AND her kids loved her for it.  She made homemade flour tortillas for the huge family parties we always had when one of the cousins had a birthday.  She rolled out tortillas all day long so everyone could enjoy them that night.  I remember asking her if they were hard to make - and she smiled and emphatically said “no”.

Homemade tortillas are especially good in Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Salad

Back then, my idea of making homemade tacos involved buying a megapack of tortillas at Costco.  They were convenient, easily frozen, and totally acceptable.  But now that I have learned to make tortillas myself, I believe it’s worth the tiny sacrifice of convenience.  Have you ever looked at the ingredients on a package?  Enough said.



These are even more fluffy and tender - you can make them any size you need.  They are easy to freeze and taste just as good (if not better) than those I purchased.



You can make these in a bowl by hand, as well as with a food processor.  No fancy equipment needed to roll them out.  A few sprinkles of flour and a good rolling pin.  Done.


If you want them super-fresh, cook them as you prepare the rest of your taco ingredients (like browning the meat, dicing tomatoes, etc).  If you want them done beforehand, keep them covered in foil in a warm oven and they will be just as delicious.



For the recipe, with step-by-step photos, go to:
www.changeabletable.com


No comments:

Post a Comment