Friday, September 14, 2012

Lowfat Moist Banana Bread/Muffins




In my experience, it’s rare to find the words “lowfat” and “moist” in the same recipe title.  Most recipes for moist banana bread have a high proportion of fat - either shortening or butter.  I tried this one because I had blueberries that needed to be used, but I’ve since made it into muffins without - and it’s fabulous!


Do you ever find yourself irritated that ALL the bananas on the counter turn dead ripe at the same time? (I'm sure it's a conspiracy to make you turn around and buy more bananas...)  You would think they would work together and take turns - they are as hard to convince as my kids were!  My daughter Aryn taught me to toss overripe bananas into the freezer - just leaving them in their skins.  I was suspicious at first, but it really works.  They thaw out quickly and it’s not hard to remove the skins.


This recipe caught my eye on Pinterest, and I’ve learned to not get my hopes up when that is my source.  I was happy to have my low expectations proved wrong.  


The recipe only calls for 3 Tbs vegetable oil, yet the bread was so moist and delicious it was hard to believe.  I’m sure the ripeness of the bananas has something to do with it, but the second time I made it with barely ripe bananas - same result.  Hmmm.  


Although blueberries make this a unique banana bread, I enjoyed it more the second time around just plain.  The texture is perfect, with just the right sweetness, and it’s firm enough to hold together without being tough. 



Quite by accident, I found a great way to mash ripe bananas - with a pastry blender.  That is the one step that keeps me from giving in and using up those black bananas.  Just a few criss-cross swipes with this common kitchen tool, and the job was done.  


I love the fact that this has no unusual ingredients - everything I have at home already.  I have yet to find an easier, faster banana bread recipe.

You'll find the recipe, along with step-by-step photos - at:
www.changeabletable.com

2 comments: