Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Creamy Spinach & Chicken Rollups




I can see a typical enchilada with my eyes closed - and this is definitely not typical.  Take sauteed spinach, cheese, and chicken rolled in a sundried tomato basil wrap - then smother in a sauce with a hint of sour cream.  Then sprinkle heavily with cheese and let the flavors blend.  Deliciously different.

I’ve had fun experimenting with two new flavors of wraps - spinach/herb and sundried tomato basil.  They are a nice change of pace from plain flour tortillas, and so good with deli meat, greens, and other veggies.  

I thought I’d give them a whirl in a baked enchilada ('rollup').  Somehow ground beef or heavy shredded beef seemed a bit much - so I opted for canned chicken breast.  I had these in the oven in about half an hour.  


Saving the broth when you open the canned chicken is a great beginning for the sauce.  A little bit of butter combined with cornstarch made it very smooth, then adding milk and sour cream improved it even more.  

As with most multi-ingredient, saucy dishes - allowing it to stand and “set” for about 10 minutes always makes it easier to serve without falling apart.  
These are great warmed up in the microwave as leftovers.

You'll find the recipe at:

No comments:

Post a Comment