Friday, June 22, 2012

Tortilla Brunch Bake




Are you looking for a breakfast casserole, but tired of the commonplace sausage/egg recipe?  This combination mixes things up and keeps it interesting.  The heavy, soggy bread is replaced by corn tortillas - with diced tomatoes and green chiles to wake up your taste buds. Lots of eggs & cheese too.


Last Sunday I couldn’t face meat for dinner - as I was craving something breakfast-y.  But sausage didn’t sound good either.  I was too lazy to make cheese enchiladas too.  I’ve become a sorry excuse of a cook lately - summer has that effect on me.

That’s how this combination came to be.  I came up with it on a whim - and didn’t have high hopes for it, but I was surprised how good it turned out.  It was very quick to put together, and didn’t involve tedious rolling or softening of the tortillas.

Tortillas are the perfect substitute for bread in a breakfast casserole.  Corn tortillas quickly absorb the moisture in the milk - while the egg & cheese snuggle down comfortably in the layers.  I loved the onion, tomatoes, and green chiles - they added a great dimension to what could have been a bland combination.

If you like a little more kick - you could add a little jalapeno and maybe a tiny amount of red pepper flakes (I emphasize TINY).  Next time I think I’ll serve it with some mild salsa, sour cream, and maybe even guacamole.  A sprinkle of fresh cilantro would be pretty too.  

Make sure you allow it to set after removing from the oven for at least 15 minutes before serving.  Just that small amount of time made a world of difference in how easy it was to slice and serve without it flowing like lava.  It took that amount of time for the moisture to transfer to the tortillas, helping each slice slide onto a plate without falling apart.  

This is even better the day after - warmed in the microwave.  Don’t know why that’s the case - maybe the flavors had time to get to know each other.

For the recipe, go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment