Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Whole Wheat Bread



My mother had me try Village Baker’s Cinnamon Raisin Walnut bread, and after that - I couldn’t go back to plain whole wheat.  I didn’t want to experiment on a large batch of wheat bread, so I found this smaller batch on friedalovesbread.  Adding cinnamon, raisins, and walnuts was all it took to duplicate.


I have several recipes for whole wheat bread that I love.  Sprouted Wheat Berry Bread, Basic Bosch Whole Wheat Bread, Ninety Minute Wheat Bread, and many others.  But I needed a smaller recipe.  I check in on friedalovesbread.com often - and I totally trust her when it comes to bread recipes.  

She says that what makes this recipe unique is sponging the wheat flour.  This softens the bran, which makes the loaf much lighter.  She also stresses that kneading the dough longer will develop more gluten, and this eliminates the stickiness in handling the dough.  It really worked...

The only change I made was adding cinnamon, raisins, and walnuts.  This really dressed up the bread, making it perfect for toasting.  

I loved it toasted with honey, but later (after pictures) I discovered that it was even better with cinnamon sugar.  

This is my favorite toast for breakfast.  Paired with a green smoothie, it keeps me from 'grazing' (on what I shouldn't) until lunch.

For the recipe, go to:


No comments:

Post a Comment