Monday, March 12, 2012

English Muffin Toasting Bread



The sign of a true English Muffin is the irregularities in the surface that is toasted.  Most (homemade) muffins, when cut, look like this on the surface: ---------.  If you fork-split or tear open your muffin, you get a very irregular surface like this: /\/\/\/\/\/\.  This bread gives you that “look” - when you slice it.


I know it’s odd, but one of our family traditions when the kids were young was to have toasted English Muffins on Sunday nights.  After a heavy Sunday mid-day dinner, they tasted so good right before going to bed.  My least favorite part of this tradition was fork-splitting the English Muffins. This was a frustrating task where I would usually end up unevenly tearing part of the muffin, making it impossible to toast.  If you are an English Muffin aficionado - you can relate.

I’ve purchased English Toasting Bread and it just isn’t the same.  So... when I get a craving for a good English Muffin, I have to brace myself for fork splitting.  Slicing them open doesn’t yield those awesome “nooks & crannies” that stand up to be toasted, while letting the low points in the surface trap all the good stuff (butter, jam, & honey)


When I saw this recipe, it looked promising.  I could see the nooks & crannies.  Yet, it looked way too simple to be ‘amazing’.  Simple ingredients, no kneading & forming into loaves, no “fork-splitting”, no big deal (at all!)  

This is the type of bread that came into existence at the time of Jane Austen (where the "Muffin Man” - a door-to-door purveyor of muffins - was mentioned in her novel Persuasion.  Ah - to curl up with a slice of this bread & that book...)  It may have been worthy of high tea in England, but now you can enjoy it on a napkin as you fly out the door to work.

For the recipe, go to:

1 comment:

  1. That is so pretty! I love how the butter seeps into the nooks and crannies...

    ReplyDelete