Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Easy-Serve Lasagna Rollups



The worst thing about serving lasagna is getting it out of the pan and onto your plate in one (recognizable) piece.  The thing I loved about this recipe is that it is simple to transfer without it falling apart. And not only is it easy to serve, but it’s just as simple (and fast) to assemble before baking


There are so many things that can go wrong in putting together your favorite “take-to-your-neighbor” lasagna.  Sometimes it turns out too saucy, other times too dry.  It’s the most unpredictable pasta dish I’ve made.  I tried it so many times when my kids were young that some of them would start to cry when they found out we were having lasagna for dinner again (you know who you are!)

When I finally ‘got it right’ - then the kids left home.  And you don’t make lasagna when you live alone (or you’ll have leftovers till the cows come home - or maybe those kids)  But I still crave a good lasagna occasionally.

When I saw this idea for roll-ups, it didn’t say anything about it being easy to portion out and serve.  But it seemed to make sense that it would be.  The thing that makes it tricky to serve lasagna (let alone assemble it) - is all those layers.  Keeping them stacked evenly in the pan, then moving them onto a plate without everything falling apart is quite a process.  The stars need to be aligned so you can get it on a plate without it oozing all over the place.

One key to easy assembly is making sure the noodles are fairly dry and the filling is not too warm.  Then everything adheres long enough for you to roll them up without it squeezing out.  The recipe photos will show you a few tricks you may not have thought of - (I learn something every day)

From one recipe I was able to make four individual portions (for me), and a larger pan that would serve six (for when the kids ‘drop by’)  This freezes well and is great to keep on hand.

For the recipe with step-by-step photos - go to:


2 comments:

  1. I love a good lasagne recipe...I usually just make it from the recipe on the box. I love the roll-up idea! I read somewhere that you need to let the lasagne sit for 15-20 minutes to let it set, so it doesn't ooze out all over the place. I love your individual portion idea ~ I saw another idea to layer in a loaf pan, which will make a taller stack. Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Great idea to use a loaf pan - especially for the wider (no cook) noodles. I have a "Lasagna Trio Pan" (by Chicago Metallic) - but this works so well that I don't need a special pan. I didn't wait for this to set before scooping it onto the plate, and it held together.

      Delete