Monday, May 9, 2011

White Chocolate Raspberry Cake



Mother’s Day is only a distant memory today - but this cake isn’t.  I think every mother deserves a dessert on that day that will “WOW” her.  


I made this for my mother yesterday and we both decided it’s a great special occasion dessert.  Every time I look in the refrigerator today... it's calling my name.


I thought this recipe would be complicated, but it just has a few more steps than a normal cake.  The cake itself is moist and has a unique flavor - I could have stopped with the cake itself and it would have been worth the effort.  

I can’t find the source of the recipe - as a good friend shared it with me and it was copied from an unknown book.  The trickiest part is finding instant white chocolate pudding mix, as well as a cake mix without pudding.  Most boxed cake mixes today are “pudding added” - and I finally found one in an off-brand.  My friend could only locate this pudding mix in sugar-free - and it was just as delicious.  


The cake is frosted with both a rich white chocolate frosting, and then a final coating of white chocolate cream topping.  The rich first coat I would describe as a “crumb coat” - and doesn’t have to look perfect.  The topping then smooths it all perfectly.  

I was in a hurry yesterday because my missionary son was able to call on Mother’s Day (so much fun to hear his voice!) - so my chocolate “curls” didn’t receive much attention.  Next time I’ll follow my own directions in this post (HERE) for a simple way to make your own chocolate curls.

The fresh raspberries make this extra special.  You could use fresh strawberries or blueberries - but they are not as long lasting as raspberries. Costco has spoiled me with how amazing these berries always are - they almost look unreal, but I assure you they’re not!


For the complete recipe with step-by-step photos - go to:

1 comment:

  1. It looks like the perfect spring cake. Love Costco fruits too.

    ReplyDelete