Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hummus... "alternative" snack



This healthy dip is a great alternative to other fat-laden snacks.  I’ve never had a desire to try it - but when I did, I was hooked.  It has a warm, barely-spicy flavor that goes so well with vegetables, chips, and wedges of naan bread.  I served it as an appetizer in a faux garden pot, with carrots “growing” from it.


I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again:  I’m not a “trendy” cook.  But this hummus thing has been circulating around for so long that I decided to try my hand at it - after all, it’s healthy!


It really is delicious, and the ingredients are all good for you.  The only draw-back is that it calls for “TAHINI” - something I haven’t heard of (and it’s also a bit difficult to find, depending on where you live)

Tahini is a paste made from sesame seeds.  Sesame seed kernels are toasted and ground to produce an oily paste.  It is Middle Eastern in origin, and is most often used in making hummus and halvah.  The best way to describe it is this:  like peanut butter, only made with sesame seeds.  You will need to stir it upon opening - as it separates much like natural peanut butter does.  When you purchase a container, it will be enough to make several batches of hummus.

You owe it to yourself to experience it at least once.  As I told those I served it to - you’ll either love it, or hate it.  If you love it - you now have a healthy snack that you won’t feel guilty enjoying.

There are recipes floating all over the web - this one is a combination of two I thought had possibilities.  It really is delicious!

For the recipe - go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment