Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad



I’ve noticed so many ads lately (from several different restaurants/fast food chains) that feature a Cranberry Chicken Salad - either in a sandwich OR as a salad.  But when I saw this recipe with greek yogurt, green apple, AND pecans - it called my name.  The hint of rosemary adds a hint of savory that is so delicious!


If you enjoy a variety of textures in food - this is a winner.  The recipe directs you to roast your own chicken (bone in & skin on) - so I used this as an excuse to purchase a rotisserie chicken at Costco.  The chicken was moist, tender, and already cooked - a bonus.

I’m still trying to decide if I’m participating in the greek yogurt foodie trend.  Yes - it does have twice the protein (but it’s also twice the price, or more!)  It did add a nice tart flavor - besides the obvious fact that it is a much healthier option.  Dried cranberries added to the sweetness, while at the same time they introduced a light “tang”.

I’ve never used shallots before - and I was looking forward to trying them.  I’ve heard they don’t bring you to tears when you slice/dice them.  Guess what?  It's a myth!  After my experience (and researching it briefly) I found that shallots are basically tiny versions of onions - and they have a little more “bite” to them.  They grow in clusters, attached at the base by loose skins.  They also have a torpedo shape, rather than that of a bulb.  The biggest difference though (in my humble opinion) - they are a trend not worth the price (Anyone beg to differ?  Please comment - I’d love your opinion on this...)  I would happily use a sweet onion in it’s place - mainly because they are so hard to find.

Without the fresh rosemary, the filling would be too sweet.  Rosemary added an earthy, savory touch - which I really liked.  The diced Granny Smith apple was so much better than the typical diced celery found in every chicken salad out there.

Be sure to allow about an hour to chill - allowing the flavors to blend nicely.  I’d love to hear if you like this as well as I did...

For the recipe - go to:

1 comment:

  1. This looks soooo good! Kudos for using a roasted chicken (it makes the BEST stock!) and I agree with the shallots...too pricey. Have you tried making your own yogurt? It's easier than I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete