Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ninety - the age you can do (and EAT) anything you want...



I've been involved for a few weeks with family & church.  Without sounding like I'm whining - I haven't had time to do much but feed crowds of people.  First - a Women's Conference (a dinner for over 400 women), and then an open house for my father-in-law's ninetieth birthday this past Saturday.  I'll be posting a few recipes used for both of these events in the next few weeks (once I can feel my hands again)




I love my father-in-law.  He is the closest reminder I have of my husband (who passed away nine years ago)  He has been a widower for the past nineteen + years - and has survived quite well.  As you can see, he has one arm.  He is also practically blind.  The secret of his success?  One = staying positive.  Two = "A Whopper A Day Keeps the Doctor Away".  I'm not exaggerating here.  The manager of his favorite Burger King brought a bag of Whoppers to his party (see it tucked by his arm in his chair - truly comfort food!)



My second daughter shares the same birthday with Grandpa "Pete" 
Explanation.  Most of his children take turns making sure Dad eats something every day.  We tried Meals-On-Wheels (and they still deliver to him - but he won't touch it...  I can't blame him)  For years we tried bribing him into eating "healthy".  


But his favorite meal is a Whopper Jr - with two extra mayo packets, bacon, and extra onion.  Add to that a big order of fries and a diet Coke.  He then consumes the leftover ketchup as "dessert".  This is his diet six days a week.  On Sunday, we insist he eats Sunday dinner at someone's home.  I take him once a week (and I'm not fond of Burger King - but it's made me a bit partial to those fries) 


I also thought it was fun that he insisted on wearing his favorite red jumpsuit - his "uniform of choice".  Nobody should be told what to wear to their own party. 


For his ninetieth birthday, it was evident how much he is loved.  LOTS of people came to help him celebrate.  Since I'm an "outlaw" - I helped out making sure everyone was fed.  Here are a few things we had on hand.





My niece's husband (Ian) - made these fun "Whopper" cupcakes.  Needless to say, they were a hit with the kids.  I'm sure you could figure out how to make them.  Split a white cupcake in half, and apply the fixings (red, yellow, green, and brown frostings), then spray the tops with caramel color and sprinkle on a few sesame seeds.  He loved them.


Here are a few more pictures from the big event...  Stay tuned - I'll be back with a few of these recipes soon.


Grandpa's favorite game called "Crokinoles" - were a hit at the party.


No comments:

Post a Comment