Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Crisp Strawberry Salad w/Toasted Sugared Nuts



Great salads are proof that evolution happens - even in recipes. This “discovery” is actually a combination of a few elements from other recipes I’ve enjoyed for years.  The julienned jicama, along with a great formula for making toasted nuts makes this salad a real crunch-fest.  Add the creamy raspberry dressing, and it’s divine.  


I posted a recipe here two years ago for Summer Salad with Creamy Raspberry Dressing - which is always wonderful as we head into warm weather.  I use this dressing often.

I was in charge of the food for my father-in-law’s 90th birthday last weekend.  I decided to combine the dressing with crisp romaine lettuce, tender spinach, julienned jicama, and fresh summer strawberries.  


But it still wasn’t complete.  My friend Pat shared her recipe for toasted pecans at our LDS Stake Women’s Conference a few weeks ago, where she headed up the food committee.  Her salad recipe is also wonderful (but different than this one), and I’ll post that soon.  These toasted nuts (you can substitute almonds for the pecans, if you wish) are addicting.


Usually, sugaring nuts for a salad is a tedious (and temperamental) process.  Pat’s method is so simple, and just sweet enough that the flavor of the nuts really shines through.

See if you don’t spend a long time savoring this combination of crunchy, fresh, creamy, sweet, etc, etc, etc...

You'll find recipes for all the elements of this salad at:

No comments:

Post a Comment