Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Cheesecake - perfected.




I have been on a quest for the perfect cheesecake since the day I had my own kitchen (that’s a very long time).  My family thinks I’ve finally achieved it by doctoring the recipes for a few cheesecakes I made last year.  So - as my last post for 2010 - I thought I'd share what I’ve learned. 

In my mind, the perfect cheesecake is just dense enough to stand on it’s own, lightly sweet, firm yet creamy, and held together with a crust that doesn’t steal the show.  Mission accomplished.  I am pleased.

My son Kyle - insists his cheesecake have a barely tangy sour cream topping.  Cameron - my son-in-law, doesn’t like his too dense (it doesn’t need to be rock-solid).  My daughters love it barely creamy.  And I like a graham cracker crust that doesn’t take over the entire cheesecake - yet allows me to serve it easily.  Try accomplishing all this in one recipe.

But - as you all know from experimenting with recipes - it takes time, but is doable.  I used the Simply Cheesecake recipe I made last year, trimmed it down to fit a 9” springform pan, added a sour cream topping, and adjusted the baking time to lightly bake the topping. 

I served this to my family the Sunday after Christmas - and they keep asking me “is there any of that cheesecake left?”.  No - there is not.  Until today.  I thought this was a great way to ring in the New Year tonight.  We’ll put the grandkids in bed, play a game, watch the ball drop - and eat the best cheesecake of 2010.  Happy New Year!

For this last-recipe-of-the-year - go to:

1 comment:

  1. Mom my mouth was watering reading this post! I have got to try making that cheesecake although nothing I make seems to taste as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete