Monday, November 8, 2010

Turkey Meatball 'Comfort' Soup



This is a soup where meatballs are the main ingredient.  More often than not, vegetables and some kind of starch (such as pasta, rice, dumplings, etc) are the principal ingredients in a soup.  This was out of my box, but the flavor was wonderful.  You may like it ‘as is,’ but I’ve added my suggestions.

Lately I’ve experimented with substituting ground turkey for ground beef (and I barely notice the difference).  This version of soup had such an interesting combination of flavors with the turkey, I had to try it.

It was delicious.  The cumin and oregano were great with the garlic & onion - really giving some personality to the (normally bland) turkey.  I would make two changes, however.  
One - (since I’m not too concerned about turkey being lean) don’t use 100% turkey breast.  It was much too dry.  And two - I would skip the breadcrumbs.  Breadcrumbs make these meatballs tough, which I didn’t enjoy.  And (if I actually have any) I will certainly use fresh cilantro.  Fresh parsley was a nice touch this time around.

Next time, this soup will be (as the title implies) a true “comfort” experience. 

For the recipe, source, and photos/directions - go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment