Thursday, November 18, 2010

Food Storage 'Fluke'


I took the last week off to spend as much time as possible 
with this great looking missionary son. 






I dropped him off yesterday at the MTC to begin his mission 
- and now I'm wandering around like a lost soul.  


He was my last one at home - and I'm still in shock.  

You'll probably notice a shift in my cooking soon - more "empty nest" than "full house".  Sigh.  But (I've always found) my family still comes home often 
- and that's when I switch gears back into quantity cooking just like all those years before.



This recipe was an ‘accident’ that came about when I was really grasping at straws for ideas for dinner one evening.  
I started with a pound of hamburger, 1/2 can of leftover spaghetti sauce, and grated cheese.  My food storage room provided the rest.  
My grown up kids still ask for this simple dish, and I have no idea why!

I sometimes use ground turkey for a change, and when I do I swap out the spaghetti sauce for Small Batch Pizza Sauce (recipe is HERE).  
It’s a real hit with kids.  You can also feel good about serving it as a “lighter” dish.  No one will know the difference (but you). 


I was surprised at how satisfying this pasta dish was - even with ground turkey as it’s mainstay.  The addition of chunky pizza sauce adds interest and lots of flavor to otherwise bland ground turkey.  Usually dishes of this type are high in fat, but using ground turkey keeps it light - yet still zesty.


So next time you find yourself staring aimlessly into your pantry for ideas 
- give this one a try.  It's not gourmet, but satisfying nonetheless.


For the recipe, go to:

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Your missionary is so handsome! I'm sure he will be missing your home cooking ~ Your pasta dish is a true comfort food. Eat up!

    ReplyDelete