Monday, November 1, 2010

Bruschetta Chicken




Bruschetta is all the rage here in the US, but it originated in Italy it where it was developed as a way of salvaging bread that was going stale.  This recipe doesn’t involve bread of any type, but it does incorporate the same same tasty topping of tomatoes, garlic, onion, and basil.  Add pasta and you’re set.

I found this idea on yourhomebasedmom.com - (a wonderful place for a plethora of ideas for cooking and beyond...).  I have tried bruschetta before and I’m still surprised that something so simple can be so good.  So when I saw it on top of chicken - I had to try it.



It’s only been a week since my garden froze, and I still have a bunch of tomatoes and bunches of basil that need to be used.  This was a way to say goodbye to fresh tomatoes, while knowing it will be months till I’ll splurge and buy this many tomatoes at the store.


I decided not to grill or brown my chicken breast, as mine turn out a bit dry this way.  I used frozen chicken tenders that I sprinkled with chicken bouillon and simmered only 15 minutes.  They were just underdone enough that I could top with the hot bruschetta and they were just right with a few more minutes of cooking.  I drained the excess juices from the hot bruschetta before spooning over the chicken, and it was still very moist and juicy.
I found the leftover bruschetta easy to seal & store in the refrigerator to use for topping one or two chicken tenders when I was eating alone.  So fresh tasting, with little effort.




For simple instructions, amounts, and directions - go to:
www.changeabletable.com

No comments:

Post a Comment