Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Small Batch Pizza Sauce



This versatile sauce works well as an Italian dip, pizza sauce, and base for pasta dishes.  It’s thick texture will not water down a pizza crust. The tiny amount of red pepper flakes adds just the right amount of kick to keep it interesting for adults as well.  This hides out well in the refrigerator for a few weeks, and is so convenient to have on hand for when you’re in a hurry.

I found variations of this recipe all over the web, but the place I found it first was on barbarabakes.com - one of my favorite sites.   


It is a great all-purpose pizza sauce, but I wanted to use it as a dipping sauce for Pizza Puffs.  It needed to be quite thick.  

I changed Barbara’s adaptation a bit by adding tomato paste (which really kicked up the tomato flavor, and added a thick texture as well).  I also drained off some of the juices in the tomatoes before beginning.  This cut down the simmer time significantly.  
You can’t go wrong with this convenient, homemade sauce.  Soon I’ll show you how versatile it is used in a pasta dish...

For the recipe, go to:
www.changeabletable.com




And... for a few more (Halloween) ideas to serve with this great sauce - check these out...



'Ghostly Fingers' - tasty little digits for kids (big & small)

Panko Crusted Chicken Bites - tasty Fall appetizer



No comments:

Post a Comment