Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Beef Au Gratin - new spin on Shepherd's Pie...





This is not typical Shepherd’s Pie.  The delicious parmesan coating forms a crust on top of creamy mashed potatoes.  This recipe could be from your grandmother’s kitchen.  It originated in an antique cookbook.  It calls for chicken, but it's equally delicious with leftover roast beef.  



The Shepherd's Pie I make calls for green beans in the bottom layer.   Using frozen peas instead sounded like a nice change.  Then the idea of covering a mashed potato topping with cream, eggs, and parmesan pulled me in and I had to try it. 


I adapted this recipe found on a website for those who eat alone - idinealone.  It was supposed to make two servings, but it could easily serve 4-5.  I’m looking forward to making this with leftover chicken, as directed in the original recipe (link is HERE).


If you have issues with eggs being cooked, you’ll want to pay attention to the length of baking.  It is more attractive served with the topping barely firm, but overbaking can cause curdling of the eggs.


I would classify this as old-fashioned comfort food.  I wouldn’t doubt my parents enjoyed dishes like this growing up.


For the recipe & photos of the entire process - go to:
www.changeabletable.com

No comments:

Post a Comment