Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mmmazing Chocolate Bundt



It seems like every time I try a recipe that contains the word “amazing” - I am less than amazed at the outcome.  Prepare to be amazed though at this gem of a recipe.  It turns out as perfect as any cake can - but judge for yourself.  It’s dense, moist, dark, and absolutely full of chocolate flavor.  But you can’t cheat when it comes to the Dutch-process cocoa - it’s required.


I wanted to make one of those desserts that leave an impression a few weeks ago.  The idea I came up with (which I’ll post tomorrow) called for cubed chocolate cake made from a mix.  If you’ve been reading for a while, you know I detest cake mixes because I have STANDARDS - high ones...

I wanted a cake that wasn’t all air - something substantial that held it’s shape when cubed.  A bundt seemed to be what I was looking for.  I found a recipe called “The Best Chocolate Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze” on several websites, and eventually traced it back to joythebaker.com.  She took it from The Big Sur Bakery Cookbook - which is now at the top of my cookbook (wish) list.

When you put this together, you will find the batter to be very THIN.  Most of us would think that is a problem, but don’t let it worry you.  I baked it in a 10 cup capacity el-cheapo bundt pan - and it turned out fabulous.  

I took a chance and used Strawberry Fanta soda in place of the brewed coffee - (yes - I know that was an odd choice)  The color was dark enough it would get lost in the chocolate, and the little touch of strawberry flavor was really fun.  You can even use water in place of the liquid.  The measurements aren’t what I would consider ‘standard’ - so pay close attention as you measure - these little deviations make a big difference.

For the recipe, go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment