Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Homestyle Burger Buns - worth the effort...



One of the reasons I don’t thrive on fast food is because the hamburger and hot dog buns disintegrate once the toppings hit the bread.  I’ve never had buns I liked - either they are too tough, or too pillowy soft.  I was happy with this recipe when I took the first bite.  It holds everything together without stealing the thunder from the burger & garnishes.


When was the last time you went out for burgers and came home raving about the burger BUN?  It’s never happened in my family - but there’s always a first.  

I made these to go with the mini-burgers/sliders from yesterday’s post (HERE).  I had stored the leftovers in the refrigerator - top side down to keep the bun from turning soggy.  My daughter and husband arrived here after midnight last weekend and discovered them.  She made a point of telling me how much they liked the BUNS.  That’s saying something.

This isn’t a ‘secret ingredient’ type of recipe - just basic bread making is all that’s going on here.  Yet, somehow this simple combination is just right for burger buns.  The original recipe (at kingarthurflour.com) directs you to flatten each dough ball to a 3-1/2” disc for buns.  Since I was using them for sliders (mini-burgers) I left them alone when rising - and they worked perfectly with a slightly higher top.

If you can’t stand to bake in this hot weather - make a bunch and freeze ahead.  If you are serving a smaller group, it’s easy to half the recipe.  

For the full recipe, with photos & directions - go to:

1 comment:

  1. These really look wonderful. My family will be visiting in August and I'm going to need buns. Your post is very timely. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete