Thursday, April 1, 2010

'Stays Put' Egg Salad - a tidy way to enjoy your Easter egg surplus...



Hmmm....  looks a bit ‘suspicious’, no?  I thought so too.  Anything in one of those “molds” should be viewed with a wary eye.  However... this is the perfect solution to the typical egg salad sandwich MESS that follows every Easter holiday.  Don’t think about it - just try it (with your eyes closed)  Surprised?


I love a good egg salad sandwich.  If I don’t make it too often, everyone acts like it’s a holiday when I do.  And it’s perfect for feeling good about using up the last of those hardboiled Easter eggs that suddenly don’t appeal to anyone.  They do have one drawback though - they are a mess to eat (without wearing it) by the time you are finished...  Not so with this version.




Just like those darned deviled eggs, I find myself avoiding making egg salad for two reasons.  First - how to boil an egg without the green tinge around the yolk.  And how do you know they are done, anyway?  Next - I hate peeling boiled eggs too.  They always make me cringe when I lose half the egg that is stuck to the shell.

This year, I found a tip on the web that I was sure wouldn’t work.  Half of it worked though.  I followed the instructions perfectly, but I didn’t “blow” the egg through the shell (check out the link HERE, and if you want to SEE it done, click on the video - and be prepared to think “eeeewwww” at the end...)  

I followed their method, except I didn’t remove the shell quite like this guy did. Here’s how I did it... 


Place eggs in saucepan, cover with water at least 2” above the egg tops, stir in 1 tsp baking soda, bring to a boil, turn down to medium/high heat, continue boiling for 12 minutes.  Drain water, add ice water.  Hit the egg on the top and the bottom to break shell.  Peel off the shell where you cracked it on both the top and bottom.  Then run cold water “through” the shell and peel.  

I kid you not - I’ve never had boiled eggs turn out this pretty before.  They were perfectly done.  Now I’m going to try it again tonight with a different number of eggs (instead of 12) - maybe six?


If you are ready to get "out of your box" with your surplus Easter eggs this year - give this tidier version of egg salad a try.  

Check out the recipe at:


No comments:

Post a Comment