Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Use it Up, Wear it Out, (or Go Without) White Bean Stew



Ever heard that statement while growing up (from your parents)?  I heard it often, and now I can't stop doing it!

I’ll be honest with you.  This isn’t my favorite, but I just can’t waste a small amount of meat of any kind.  The flavor is good, the stew warms you up from the inside out, and the price is right.  


This won’t win any awards, but with warm bread - nobody complains.  It’s also a great source of protein and fiber...


Remember the book “Stone Soup”?  My kids loved that book when they were small.  It’s a great lesson on cooperation and sharing.  Sometimes, about a week before payday - we practically eenacted that story because it wasn’t time to head for the grocery store.  

Those were the weeks when this (or another) variation of soup was “dreamed up”.  Nobody seemed to suffer too much though - in fact, they don’t seem to even remember it. 

Now I need to stop purchasing roasts that can feed an army, since my army is rarely here for dinner.   But a large roast is beautiful and the price is usually better than that of a smaller cut of meat.  

I’ve tried to include beans in my soups lately.  It’s my way of feeling like I’m eating healthy (but let’s not discuss all the breads and desserts, shall we?)  Dry beans are not that difficult to use - the secret is thinking about it the night before - something that’s not in my nature.  But when I make the effort, I have a great feeling of accomplishment.  See the notes at the bottom of the recipe for instructions on how to do it yourself...

This is a good way to use any leftover meat you may have on hand.  You might even try it with your extra Easter Ham.

To reenact your own version of this "stone soup" - go to:







No comments:

Post a Comment