Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lucky Clover Biscuits - a holiday look for light & flaky cream biscuits...




A biscuit is only a biscuit - until you change the shape, that is.  Plain biscuits or muffins get a little boring (yawn) as winter soup season nears it’s end.  Change it up a bit by using one of many tall-sided holiday cookie cutters.  The shamrock shape makes it easy to divide a biscuit into four bite-size portions.  


Green is great, but I draw the line when it comes to bread.  You can certainly invite the luck of the Irish by using the shamrock shape.  You might even push the green issue a little further with children by sprinkling with parsley or chives.

I had purchased this Wilton shamrock cookie cutter a few weeks ago, and I’ve enjoyed it so much that I’m regretting putting it away.  The sides are extra tall, and it works well for cutting something up to 2” high.  I like my biscuits puffy and high, so I decided to try it for cutting.  You would think there would be a lot of wasted biscuit dough with all the intricate curves, but the shape “nests” well - as you can see.  

I used the scraps and re-rolled them.  The re-rolled biscuits aren’t as attractive, so I sprinkled them with parmesan cheese, chopped chives, and parsley.  They were “less-than-perfect” in appearance - but were certainly delicious in spite of it.  And, as you probably already know - these are best served HOT.  Leftovers (in the microwave) are fine, but not as flaky.  These can also be flash-frozen (as shown in the post link below)

I found this recipe on smittenkitchen.com.  You’ll love it because it has only five ingredients, and it’s missing the “cutting-in-the-fat” step... a real PLUS in my book.  Let’s not talk about the calories - sacrifices are worth it sometimes...


For step-by-step photos, recipe, and links - go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment