Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Day eight (of sixteen days of GREEN): Creamy Potato/Celery Chowder - a delicious way way to "go green"




Resist the urge to turn up your nose at this warm, creamy, and comforting soup - even if it is a light shade of green.  I think I could have this every day for lunch.  Great as a first course soup, and when made nice and thick - you could even call it a chowder.  Sprinkle with chives, parsley, croutons, or cheese.


Sometimes when I enjoy a creamy bowl of clam chowder, I wonder if I would enjoy it without the clams...  That’s what gave me the idea for this chowder.  It’s clam chowder - UNDERstated.  

You could technically call this a St Patrick’s Day meal, but the green is so  subtle you hardly notice it.  I added a small amount of potato to take away the slight bitter after taste you often get with celery, and found that it thickened the chowder slightly.  The flour completes the thickening.  
  
A blender makes quick work of getting this on the stove - so it’s easy to ladle into bowls within about 45 minutes.  Serve with Shamrock Cream Biscuits (link is HERE),  sliced cheese, and fresh cut apples & winter pears for a light end-of-winter meal.  

This is a painless way to “go green” - see if your family doesn’t agree.

(I loosely adapted this recipe from “Super Creamy Celery Soup” 

For my step-by-step adaptation, go to:

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how I stumbled across your blog- but I am SO glad that I did!!! I agree that St. Patricks Day gets the shaft- I decorated my dining room table for it the day after Valentines Day!!! {Being Irish has nothing to do with it!}
    <3 this lil bloggy- thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete