Monday, March 15, 2010

Day fourteen (of sixteen days of GREEN) - fresh, creamy Tomatillo Dressing


This dressing is a stretch for St. Patrick's Day (Mexico is a far cry from Ireland!) - but it does fit into the GREEN category!  (About now you may be tiring of Irish fare...)



In my neighborhood we used to have mini cooking demonstrations where we share our favorite recipes with each other.  A few years ago, Carol - a great cook - hosted a demo of Pork Barbacoa with this lightly seasoned creamy dressing.   

This is a knock-off of one of the specialties at Cafe’ Rio in the SL Valley.  Am I the only one that feels like I'm reliving the Seinfeld episode of the "Soup Nazi" when I go to Cafe Rio?  I love the food, but I get intimidated that I can't decide immediately what I want and end up getting YELLED at.  I know.  I need to get over it...


  


This dressing is great with any mexican dish - but we also like a little squirt on soups (like Fire Roasted Garlic Tomato) This keeps a few weeks in your refrigerator and is extra easy to use in a squirt bottle.


A tomatillo is a fruit that belongs to the same "nightshade" family as the tomato.   Also called a "Mexican green tomato," it does look like a small green tomato with a papery husk in place of skin.   But it has a tart flavor all its own. 




For this yummy GREEN dressing recipe, go to:


For the Fire Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup recipe, go HERE.


Three more days to submit your GREEN recipes & website links... please email them to me at appetersen@changeabletable.com

No comments:

Post a Comment