Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sunday Crockpot Mashed Potatoes - now it's truly a day of REST...


Everyone loves a steamy, creamy bowl of whipped mashed potatoes with their Sunday roast, right?  Maybe you have children with ‘hungry eyes’ watching you anxiously while you wait for the potatoes to finish boiling after church...  Give this simple little idea a try and perfectly tender potatoes will be waiting for you to mash them.


Several “little” things annoy me about getting our Sunday dinner underway...  
First, it annoys me that there’s always a pretty high level of expectation associated with that ONE meal of the week.  It’s only a MEAL, for heaven’s sake!  But to my family, it’s next to Christmas as far as their expectations go.  And yes, it is all my fault - I started it years ago and now I can’t go back to “humdrum”...

Second, it’s expected that we have a traditional POTATO dish - Sunday carbs.  That way you have an excuse for getting tired enough for a long nap after you eat.  

Third, getting those potato dishes to the table in a timely manner (while everyone is starving after three hours of church) is hard to orchestrate.  It’s always a challenge getting those NYLONS off (my first priority), changing into something comfortable, clearing the Sunday paper & cold cereal off the kitchen counter, peeling the potatoes & getting them on the stove, emptying the dishwasher, and trying to get SOMEONE to set the table.  

I’m not complaining - just needing to whine a little I guess.   So, when my daughter shared this little tip with me I was excited to try it.  Her husband’s “Aunt Karla” always puts her potatoes in a crockpot to get them ready to mash after church.  This isn’t rocket science & it won’t change the world, but to me it was brilliant...  


For all the ins & outs, proportions, and a step-by-step photo tutorial - go to:

Check back tomorrow, and I'll show you a great use for all the leftover potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment