Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sour Cream & Cheddar Beef Roll - makes it's own creamy gravy...


The center of this tasty meat roll is reminiscent of Swedish Meatballs.  Tender and moist, the filling is almost a rich gravy.  It bakes to a rich brown color, and fills your kitchen with a wonderful aroma.  Serve with a side of buttered noodles, rice pilaf, or a scoop of creamy mashed potatoes.  


The meatloaf I make for Sunday dinner is rarely varied - it’s a recipe (if you would call it a recipe) that I never alter or my family wonders why.  But midweek I can be a little more daring.  As I stared at the ground beef I needed to use in my refrigerator yesterday, I decided to try something different.  

I found a recipe on the web and changed it up a little.  The original recipe called for cornflakes & green olives - somehow that didn’t sound appealing, so I substituted crushed saltines.  The seasonings worked well together, and I didn’t feel guilty leaving out the green olives.

My son thought this was “awesome” because, in his opinion, it tasted like Swedish Meatballs.  I knew it seemed familiar, but I couldn’t place it till he pointed that out.  I guess I could label this as “Swedish Meatballs in a Roll”...  Much faster, and very simple.  

One bit of advice - make sure you let the roll stand at least ten minutes before attempting to slice it.  The cheese and sour cream will escape quickly from the beef roll if you cut it too soon.  As you can tell in the photo below - it’s still delicious (almost like swedish meatball gravy) - but a much better presentation if you give it time to set first. 


For this recipe with step-by-step photos, go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment