Monday, January 25, 2010

Creamy Chicken Noodle Bowl - SERIOUS "soup" for a cold day...

This is SERIOUS chicken noodle soup friends... I can't call it "soup" because it's just so much more satisfying than that.  If you've ever felt like soup for dinner just doesn't cut it - you need to try this.  You would be hard pressed to add bread, or any other soup accompaniment - it's all in here...

I found this recipe on Laura’s realmomkitchen.com - and the reason it caught my eye was the unique mix of seasonings.  I have a chicken & dumpling soup “recipe” that I use time after time - but it’s fairly bland (although perfect when you’re nursing the flu...)  This soup however is a nice mix of comfort with a hint of jazzy.

Noodles can be tricky in a soup.  If you add them too close to when you will actually serve the soup, they seem underdone.  If you add them too far ahead, they fall apart and become unrecognizable.  So - keep that in mind as you get ready to add the noodles.  If I’m trying to “hold” the soup for an uncertain dinner time - I get the cream sauce ready & cover it with a lid.  I remove the chicken and cut it into pieces, then cover and place it in the refrigerator.  Then all I need to do is reheat the soup to boiling, add the cream sauce, and finally the chicken just before serving.  

I tried two types of noodles.  First try I used rotini, then I used the “homemade” variety you can find at select grocery & warehouse stores (such as Ream’s & Costco - in the Salt Lake Valley)  I must say, I prefer the old-standby noodles over the “homemade” variety.  The reason is the soup became too thick and hearty, almost resembling a casserole or one-dish-meal.

I use boneless, skinless chicken thighs because the broth seems richer, and the meat doesn’t fall apart as easily.  The cream sauce combines with the seasonings really well. 



Before balmy weather returns, give this a try...  You'll find the entire recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions at:     changeabletable.com

No comments:

Post a Comment