Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"Plan-Over" Beef & Barley Soup - a new face for Sunday's roast...





Put your leftover Sunday roast to good use with this hearty soup. Barley has become a “forgotten” grain - but it is rich in fiber and slightly thickens a broth as well. Great to portion into cup-size sealable containers for the freezer. These are really handy for a spur-of-the-moment dinner for one.

Today was officially “Soup Day” in the Salt Lake Valley because we had a reality check with a drastic swing of 45 degrees in temperature. When you are wearing short sleeves and sandals one minute, then your winter woolies the next - the first thing you crave is something warm to eat.

I remember as a child my favorite soup was Campbell’s Beef Barley. They don’t make it any longer, much less CALL it that - so I haven’t been able to find it for years. But I remember the deep brownish red broth with just enough of those cute little clumps of barley to make me hunt for them. It seemed to me this was the ultimate “warm up” soup.

I used leftover (some moms call these “plan-overs”) roast beef from Sunday dinner - along with the congealed beef broth that it was soaking in. I even allowed some of the hardened clumps of fat to remain with the broth for flavor - a little can’t hurt too much, can it?

This really hit the spot on the first day I’ve reached for a sweater in months...

For this recipe, along with step-by-step photos - go to:
www.changeabletable.com ("empty nest" tab)

No comments:

Post a Comment