Monday, September 28, 2009

Low Calorie Spinach Parmesan Quiche - with a "no pastry" crust...




If you aren’t sold on this recipe for the reason that it’s low calorie, it will win you over with how satisfying and filling it is. The fact that you don’t have to spend time on a pie crust makes it an all around winner. I was surprised at how delicious this easy quiche was - and it stores and reheats without losing it’s appeal...

I have seen flour tortillas used as a makeshift crust several times, but trying it made a believer of me. I just may take a very long vacation from making pie crust...

There are several versions of this type of quiche bopping around on the web - but this one caught my interest because of the calorie savings. Simply using part egg whites, as well as part-skim mozzarella cheese reduced the calories to 177 per slice.

I made this in a 9” pie tin with a burrito-sized tortilla - but next time I’ll use the soft-taco size tortillas and place them in two Grab-It bowls. That will leave one on hand for lunch later.

For this recipe, as well as step-by-step photos and it's source - go to:
www.changeabletable.com ("empty nest" tab)

No comments:

Post a Comment