Thursday, August 13, 2009

'Po-cchini' Fritters - Potato Cakes with attitude...





Looking for an alternative to hash brown potatoes as a side dish? Hash browns aren’t famous for their nutritional value - so when I saw this recipe for “Potato/Zucchini/Scallion Pancakes” I thought it had real possibilities... But with a name like that it was doomed to failure at my house (forgive the new name!) These are yummy with the chived sour cream on the side...

The only thing I like about Arby’s is their potato cakes. They are crispy, yet tender inside and I LOVE them. I’ll even sit through watching my son eat from their 5 for $5.00 menu until he is sick so I can enjoy one of these potato cakes. I have tried several times, but I just can’t duplicate them.

When I tried these crisp (yet tender) golden brown and green pancakes - it made me think of those Potato Cakes. And I felt noble inside for adding a little “nutritional value” to such a treat by using my garden zucchini and onion. I adapted the recipe found on recessionipes.com by using all-purpose flour instead of whole wheat (which would have been good I’m sure) and substituted light (milder tasting) olive oil to keep the splattering to a minimum. The link (here) gives a detailed listing of nutritional value per “pancake” (‘er... FRITTER) so you can feel good about serving them.

But before I dared serve them to my family, I vowed they would never hear the name of the original recipe (Zucchini, Potato and Scallion Pancakes with Chived Sour Cream). And yes, they still think I’m crazy every time I try re-naming a recipe.

For the recipe, photos, and tips - go to:
www.changeabletable.com ("full house" tab)

1 comment:

  1. What a great recipe. I think this would be a hit (especially with the deceiving name!)

    ReplyDelete