Saturday, August 15, 2009

Easy as (Tomato) Pie - using all that garden produce can be really delicious...





Tomato pie (I have found) is a Southern delicacy - and they are as passionate about it as we Utahns are about our “funeral potatoes”. There are almost as many variations of Tomato Pie as there are people at Costco waiting for samples on a Saturday. After all that browsing - this is my variation...

Before you look at this recipe title and go elsewhere - just remember you (supposedly) haven’t really lived until you’ve tried the legendary TOMATO PIE. I found a (similar) recipe for this on KSL5.com a few years back, and I shrugged my shoulders in disbelief that anyone could actually LIKE something like it. But this year I have enough tomatoes to make me feel guilty - but not enough to make me want to bottle them. So I remembered that strange recipe I found long ago, and decided to be daring and try it.

I particularly enjoy reading comments on recipes. You can often get a good feel for the possible success of a recipe by taking a quick glance through them. The consensus on the “typical” recipe seemed to be that you either LOVE or HATE the real mayonnaise and the “wateriness” of the tomatoes. If you want to read an entertaining tomato pie recipe - go HERE to satisfy your curiosity.

I decided I couldn’t handle an entire CUP of real mayonnaise, and that I wanted a touch of bacon, and PLENTY of cheese. It was a good decision - and the only thing I’m still trying to get used to is the issue with how liquid-y the tomatoes tend to be. But that is the nature of the beast, and after it sits out at room temperature for about 15 minutes - that takes care of itself.

For this use-up-your-garden-produce recipe, with photos and tips - go to:
www.changeabletable.com ("full house" tab)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking to my recipe. I am not a mayo fan, which is why my version only has 3TBSP. I haven't gotten around to trying the cream cheese variation, but it is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just eying a recipe for summer tomato pie in a ward cookbook and wondered what it would look like when it was done. That looks like a delicious way to use up fresh tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete