Sunday, August 16, 2009

Crockpot (or NOT) BBQ'ed Ribs - hearty flavor without the grill...





This Taste of Home recipe is everything their title says “Secret’s in the Sauce” BBQ Ribs... It couldn’t be more simple, and the result is a fall-off-the-bone rib that has just the right seasoning. Maybe we were just extra hungry - but the heavenly aroma stopped us in our tracks today after church...

I love using my crockpot, but if I have a choice - I will always bake meat in my oven. Today was cool and pleasant, so I opted for baking these in my Magnalite roaster for the same amount of time at 250 degrees.

It was a bit of a trick finding “cherry preserves” - they only tend to sell off-brands of this variety. You will be hard-pressed to find it in Smucker’s or Knott’s Berry Farm brands. The BBQ sauce is really inexpensive in the summer months. I found Kraft for $1.00 a bottle. I did have to top it off with an extra 1/2 cup of my favorite (Bull’s Eye) because the inexpensive brand didn’t have quite the 2-1/2 cups it called for. It must be the cherry preserves, garlic, and mustard that makes the difference - it was just delicious!

I took mine out of the oven off and on in order to bake the rolls, apple pie, and herbed red potatoes that we had for dinner today also. The “in-and-out” treatment didn’t hurt these a bit. I did remove the lid for the last hour of cooking and it reduced the sauce enough that it was thick and tasty. I wonder how that would work with my crockpot?

For this recipe and photos, go to:
www.changeabletable.com ("full house" tab)

No comments:

Post a Comment