Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Classic BLT - the summer sandwich of your childhood...





Today was officially my “Sunday Dinner Strike”... I have had enough cooking this week - and I wanted something fast and filling. Fresh tomatoes with crunchy lettuce and bacon on toasted buttered bread - is your mouth watering yet? Now is the time of year for a classic easy meal like the “BLT”...

There are some days that I am so DONE cooking! Today was one of them. Myself (and especially my family) are real fans of making a fantastic Sunday dinner - a day that we can usually relax and enjoy a meal together. After an especially crazy week I was kind of glad not to have anyone coming by for dinner today (but that will change - I LOVE having people over usually)

I gave my son a choice between Pork Roast & Mashed Potatoes (usually a favorite) and BLT’s. I was shocked when he chose BLT’s. But, after all - we have some pretty great tomatoes in the garden and everything else that makes the classic BLT - fresh white bread, crunchy lettuce, Miracle Whip, mustard, and (most important) THICK sliced bacon. You may not normally like mustard - but try it (even a tiny bit) and you will notice a subtle difference that make a superior BLT.

It had been a long time since we had these, but I still crave them occasionally. And, after all - it IS the day of “rest” (for some of us anyway) You may think it isn’t necessary to have a real, written-down recipe for something this simple - but my college kids think you can’t have enough directions for the good things in life. So here goes...

For this "recipe", photos, and some fun "BLT" trivia - go to:
www.changeabletable.com ("empty nest" tab)

No comments:

Post a Comment