Friday, June 26, 2009

Rough Puff Pastry - direct from Martha herself...





A food snob I’m NOT, but I had to see what all the fuss was about when it comes to Puff Pastry... I’ve never used it, and (frankly) when it has been served somewhere I’m really not impressed. So I ran across a video tutorial by Martha Stewart and decided to dive in and try it myself. And (are you surprised?) I had to CHANGE it enough to make it mine...

I am feeling very FRENCH after I tackled this puff pastry... And I must say, this is head & shoulders above anything I’ve tried made with frozen puff pastry. I’ve even made it two more times - and that is saying something!

I had to change one very big step in the process. I have arthritis, and I knew I would pay dearly if I made it completely by hand. So I decided to give it a whirl in my Bosch mixer. A brilliant idea, and I’m trying to be humble!

Now - a disclaimer. I am not claiming this is better than Martha’s (can anyone say that really - after all, she has hundreds of staff working on her projects - how would THAT be?) However, when I did try making it completely by hand - it failed miserably. It didn’t puff at all, although it did taste wonderful. And what’s the point of making puff pastry without the “puff”?

For this recipe, the original Martha video, and MY adaptations - go to:
www.changeabletable.com ("full house" tab)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the information! Ive always wanted to try making this, but havnt been brave enough! Yours looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete