Thursday, May 14, 2009

Baked "Divinity" Cookies - hard to describe "candy/cookie" combination





If you love divinity - this cookie will endear itself to you immediately. There’s just something about meringue that has “special” written all over it... The texture is light and airy - yet chewy and crisp all at the same time. (And the chocolate and nuts certainly don’t hurt either!) Easy to throw together, and no standing around waiting for them to be done in batches - you can’t go wrong with these...

I’ve stumbled upon several versions of this recipes and the idea of a “meringue” type cookie has fascinated me since I first saw it. I finally couldn’t contain my curiosity any longer and decided to try it last night. We often bring things to snack on at the Conference Center in Salt Lake City - and I use my shift as my volunteer taste testers / guinea pigs / willing food panel... (you get the idea!) Well - I think I gave out a verbal draft of this recipe at least ten times this morning - so it was obviously successful. Upon doing a little more research - I liked this version of the recipe best (I found it on several food blogs - and they were ALL the same, with a small variation of measurements)

The most common name for this cookie is “Forgotten Cookies” because you literally put the cookie sheet in a hot oven, turn it off (important!), and forget about it for at least six hours.

When I tasted the batter, and then the finished cookie the next morning - the first thing that came to my mind was “divinity”... So I have renamed them... DIVINITY cookies.

For this recipe, photos, and tips - go to:
www.changeabletable.com ("empty nest" tab)

No comments:

Post a Comment