Monday, April 20, 2009

Cantaloupe "Peel & Cut" 101 - get ready for seasonal fruits!




Cantaloupe is starting to appear in the stores at a pretty decent price in the past few weeks. It makes me excited to get my garden planted! Last Fall I found cantaloupe in the garden that I had been ANXIOUS to pick since July - but they had taken their sweet time! When I walked outside that day, I could SMELL cantaloupe when I stepped out the back door. In ONE SHORT DAY - most of them were over-ripe! So I learned a lesson or two about when to pick and how to slice one of my favorite fruits - and they’re not just for summer any more! Practice up for the warm days ahead...

A daughter and some of my Conference Center friends have asked me occasionally how I cut a cantaloupe to “fan out” on a fruit plate. I took this idea from a good friend I serve with on my shift. She does it a slightly different way than I do, and never really showed me how to do it. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - so in other words - I COPIED her! Just remember it takes practice - but you will still love the fruit if it doesn’t turn out quite like you think it should! This also works well for honeydew melon. I use a variation of this same method when I cut up a pineapple - I’ll post that soon. All you need is a good sharp knife, and remember it just isn’t worth it to put the rind down the disposal...

For full pictorial instructions, go to:
www.changeabletable.com ("full house" tab)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great instructions. I always feel like I waste so much fruit on my peels when I cut them. I'll have to give it a try again soon. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete