Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Real Southern Pecan Pie





When I saw this post for pecan pie that ISN’T runny, it got my attention.  This is one of my favorite pies, but for the life of me - I can’t figure out why it never completely sets up.  This reminds me of a VERY soft & chewy pecan cookie.  Then the fact that it’s nestled in a delicious pastry doesn’t hurt either.



I have a few favorite cooks I follow on the web, and Frieda (of friedalovesbread.com) is one of them.  She has a no-nonsense way of looking at cooking - always ready to learn and share a new tip or two with every recipe.


She obtained this recipe from a professional baker, Susan K. Payne.  She shares six tips for the perfect (Southern) pecan pie.  (Thanks Frieda!)

Number One:  Pan toast the nuts to add a nice flavor.  Number Two:  Stir with a spoon (which keeps the sugar from dissolving, which then causes the top of your pie to burn as it bakes).  

Number Three:  Fashion a pie “shield” or “fence” that will prevent the crust from browning too quickly.
  

Number Four:  Use glass pans (not metal).  Not sure why, but it works.   Number Five:  Use frozen pie crusts that you’ve pre-made for convenience.  



Number Six:  Allow the pie to cool completely before cutting.  This prevents the filling from turning runny.


We really loved this pie over Thanksgiving.  It was gone in a flash.  It’s cookie-like outer shell is just fabulous, not to mention the smooth-as-silk filling dotted with toasted pecans.  

For the recipe, go to:
www.changeabletable.com


No comments:

Post a Comment