Thursday, October 18, 2012

Embarrassingly Easy Morning Oats




When I read about this idea, it was like a revelation.  Why hadn’t I put two + two together and come up with this myself?  No matter.  Plain and simple, steel cut oats take FOREVER to cook in order to achieve the desired soft/chewy texture.  This does that, but without your constant supervision.

If you’ve ever cooked steel cut oats for breakfast - it’s like waiting in line at the grocery store.  It’s the price you pay for the food you like, and it ALWAYS takes longer than you thought it would.  And speaking of waiting in line - I try to make my best educated guess of which line will be shortest, only to have it turn out to be quite the opposite.


I’ve posted two other methods of cooking steel cut oats for breakfast (Overnight Crockpot Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats, and 2-Minute Weekday Steel Cut Oatmeal)  They are both great, but this method is EASY.  Almost stupid-proof.

I have had a rice cooker for years now, and we still aren’t friends.  My biggest issue with it is that no matter what I do, I still have an overdone layer on the bottom, and sometimes the sides.  It spits and sputters, which is worrisome if I’m close enough to see it.  



For some reason though, with steel cut oats - these downsides are minimized.  Yes - there is still a layer of harder oats on the bottom and sides, but when you stir it all together that disappears.  It still sputters a bit of the oat-ey liquid, but not much.




The proportions given here worked great for me.  You’ll have to be your own judge with your specific rice cooker.  It still takes quite a bit of time for your bowl of oatmeal - mine took a good hour.  But it made a lot that I could refrigerate and reheat every morning for a week.

For the instructions and proportions, go to:
www.changeabletable.com


No comments:

Post a Comment