Monday, May 14, 2012

Summer Sliders on Homemade Buns




Summer is knocking on the door, and school will end soon.  I remember the hardest thing about having kids home for the summer was what to give the kids to replace school lunch.  These two summer slider-style sandwiches are simple to keep in the refrigerator to pull out for a quick school-style lunch.


I don’t know many people who have fond memories of school lunch, but I do remember TWO things that I loved.  One was the homemade rolls/buns/breadsticks,etc... that were probably all made from the same quantity recipe.  Somehow, heading for the lunchroom to the smell of freshly baked bread is one of my fondest memories.  The other was Tater Tots.  To this day, I still love them like a kid - and yes, I know they are NOT in any of the food groups.

These are two ground beef recipes that kids love.  A simple hamburger made with some unusual ingredients - very moist and just spicy enough.  A great sloppy joe recipe made like my mother’s - using condensed Chicken Gumbo Soup.  

Kids enjoy ‘helping’ you make their summer meals - which is a better alternative to having them whine, complain, and hang onto your legs while you try to get things ready.  These recipes are kid-friendly, and since they can help make them - they are more likely to eat them without being coerced.

Give these a try in place of the standard mac ‘n cheese or ramen - and you might be voted mom of the year.  But do it before mid-July - because after that, all bets are off.

For the recipe(s), go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment