Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Condensed Cream of Celery Soup



Lately the food world is beating up on the standard (red & white can...) condensed cream of something soup.  Up until now, it was hard for me to duplicate the smooth creamy texture of the canned variety.  The texture in this recipe comes from lots of healthy vegetables - not too much starch & extra additives


With any good blender, this soup is fast and simple.  And it has another big advantage... you don’t have to use extreme measures to get it out of a (maddening!) pop-top can.  I can’t tell you how many spatulas I have cut to shreds trying to clean out a Campbell’s can.  Whose idea was that, anyway?

When I was raising my family, condensed cream soups were a staple item - so convenient to use.  Added to meat, pasta, rice, etc... creamed soup was the ‘peacemaker’ ingredient to make any combination of ingredients work.


But now, when I read labels (which I didn’t take the time to do all those years ago) - I look for other options.  Making my own condensed soup helps me control the salt and additives that seem to be out of control in most canned foods today.

Not only is this soup great to use in cooking, but it’s wonderful by itself in a bowl.  Grate a little cheese over the top, add croutons, crackers, etc... and it makes a great light meal.

For the recipe, go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment