Thursday, December 22, 2011

Peeling Pomegranates... the clean way



Have you ever tried peeling a pomegranate without leaving tell-tale signs of bright red on your clothes and all over your kitchen?  This method is so easy, you won’t be tempted to spend more than you should on the convenient Pomegranate Arils you find in the warehouse & grocery stores.

Whenever I see the double-bowls of pre-seeded pomegranates this time of year - I always take one, get right up to the check out, and then think better of it and run it back to the shelf.  I have purchased them before, only to have them spoil before I can use them up.  They are not inexpensive, and that’s a lot of money to spend on a pretty red garnish for a salad, only to throw most of it away.

Yesterday I found pomegranates at the grocery store for $1.25.  I needed them for a salad (my all-time favorite salad... “Mrs. Mecham’s Salad” - the link is HERE)
I came home ready to wear the biggest apron I could find to keep from ruining my clothes.  I wasn’t looking forward to red fingernails (and not the pretty kind) either.  


I decided to do a search to see if there is an easier way to peel a pomegranate.  I found a method that sounded simple, and gave it a try.  Bingo - it worked like a charm!  

Pomegranates are a concentrated source of antioxidants - and they are just beautiful and a pleasure to find in a salad. Enjoy!

The easy instructions with photos are found at:


No comments:

Post a Comment