Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Zucchini-Ricotta Fritters



Once you open a container of ricotta - you’re committed.  It’s common to forget it in the back of the refrigerator.  This was an out-of-this-world summer side dish.  Bright green zucchini with garlic & onion made this more than another bland way to use squash.  Make a full batch, and then rewarm one or two at a time briefly in your oven as needed.



Like most of you, I spend a good deal of time in waiting rooms.  Doctors, dentists, labs, DMV, etc, etc...  Rather than waste my time watching the crowds come and go - I usually take a good look at the reading material (if there is any).  Of course, I go for anything with a recipe.  I found this in an office copy of Food & Wine magazine.  


Like most of us would, I brushed it off as “another zucchini recipe”.  But, the ricotta drew me in.  My good neighbor shared a big sack of zucchini, and I had to try it.  

First off - Italian ricotta is made with milk from sheep.  That makes it naturally sweet.  American ricotta is almost always made from cow’s milk whey - making it more bland, salty, and moist.  I guess you could say it’s a “green” product - because it’s made from milk whey left over from the production of cheese.  Italian dishes like cheesecake and cannoli use ricotta as an ingredient - and let’s not forget lasagna, pizza, and ravioli.

This use of ricotta is very UN-Italian.  It was like a very tender, savory pancake.  The crispy shell and the soft center are so good.  I almost forgot what was on the rest of my plate. 

A trusty cast-iron skillet is a great way to keep the oil at a constant temperature, as well as control splatters.  After draining on paper towels, these retain their heat for a long time.

For this great summer recipe, go to:
  

1 comment: