Friday, July 29, 2011

Red & Blue Almond Layer Cake



If I’m going to ‘spend’ my calories on cake, it’s going to be REAL cake - none of this “from a box” stuff.  I found a recipe entitled “Sour Cream Pound Cake” - then I pumped it up with almond flavoring.  Anything almond is a hit at my house.  When I added a white chocolate mousse filling with raspberries & blueberries - it was perfect...


Raspberries & blueberries are so beautiful, I have to find ways to use them all summer long.  Even when the “patriotic” holidays have already passed us by (but there’s still Labor Day coming up, right?)

If this dense, buttery cake isn’t tasty enough - adding white chocolate mousse as a filling made it even better.  It’s a very simple recipe that I’ve posted before (link is HERE) - and it really doesn’t take any time at all.  


The idea for these perky flowers made from berries & sliced almonds is NOT my own.  When I saw it, I had to try it.  I found it on a photography website (of all places... the cake artist remains unknown)  An almond flavored cake seemed the perfect place to use such delicious blooms.  It’s a spunky way to use sliced almonds - which are rarely used for anything “fun” - just sophisticated fare it seems.

All things said - decor, color, and extra touches aside - the star is the delicious sour cream almond cake.  I loved it.  I found the recipe on bakememore - where she did not state which King Arthur recipe it came from.  To it, I added my own almond buttercream frosting, and the white chocolate mousse.

Trust me - this is cake at it’s very best.

For the recipe, go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment