Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Gigi's Fabulous Caramel Cake



If you are looking for a moist and buttery cake - this is it.  It would be entirely satisfying to consume it without the caramel frosting - but then you wouldn’t know what you are missing.  If I were to rename this - it would have the word “Praline” somewhere in the title - which would only be accurate if you added pecans.  (Hmmm... that’s an idea)

I first stumbled upon this recipe on cjaneinthekitchen - a great food blog.  When she described the frosting as having the same flavor & texture as brown sugar fudge - I immediately bookmarked it.  It’s also found on several other blogs, and I’ve added their tips to the recipe as well.

The original recipe is from a little gem of a cookbook called “Southern Cakes”.  If I’m ever able to visit the south, I won’t head back home till I’ve enjoyed a few of them.


This is a “hot milk” type cake - which I've found yields a more moist, dense texture than cakes made by creaming the butter and sugars.  Whipping the eggs and sugar prior to adding to the dry ingredients yields a really nice, fine grain & texture.
The cake itself lives up to it’s name, but I especially loved the caramel frosting.  And it is T-H-I-C-K.  You have been warned.  I don’t have a problem with a heavy layer of THIS frosting - but I could never enjoy the same amount of other greasy, shortening based frostings.

This is a perfect summertime, take-to-your-family-reunion kind of cake.  The frosting holds up well on a hot day, and the super moist cake isn’t crumbly.


For the recipe, go to:
  

1 comment: