Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Thin Blueberry Pie w/Flaky Buttermilk Crust



Fruit doesn’t take over a pie when it’s baked like this in a large pizza pan.  The crust really stands out at it’s flaky best.  A slight drizzle of powdered sugar glaze makes it irresistible, let alone a scoop of ice cream on the side.  This crust is so flaky it practically disintegrates when touched by your fork.  Mmm.


I’ve made my apple pie this way for as many years as I can remember (the recipe for it is HERE).  But now I’ve tried it with blueberries - it’s going to be tough to choose my favorite.  

I found the crust recipe in Lion House Pies cookbook - (you can gain 5 pounds just browsing through it).  There are many recipes like it on the web, but this one had unique proportions that made it just the right size to fit my large pizza pan.  

I’ve never thought of buttermilk as an ingredient in a pie crust recipe.  Like my favorite “Never Fail Pie Crust” (link is HERE) the addition of buttermilk incorporates acid into the mix - which inhibits the formation of gluten.  I also love the little touch of real butter - which makes the flavor wonderful.  

I am enjoying an overabundance of frozen blueberries (thanks to my sister-in-law Nancy, so fun!)  Usually I prefer fresh, but frozen works just fine in this recipe.  You’ll need a bunch (8 cups to be exact - that’s one big bucketful if you’re picking them yourself)

Blueberries can be a bit tricky to work with as far as how to properly thicken them.  Their juiciness plays a big part in the equation.  


This particular recipe works well with frozen berries.  The proportions are trial and error on my part - so hope it works for you as well.  


I’ve made this twice now - and it’s been completely “scarfed” both times.

For the full recipe, photos, etc... go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment