Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Goof-Proof Blueberry Pie



Blueberries (at least in this part of the country) are usually expensive, and I don’t like to take a chance on an average recipe.  This easy method was praised on the website I found it on, and it intrigued me that they could go on (and ON) about how good it was.  I recommend it, with just a little of my own advice.

I had never heard of PickYourOwn.org before.  As far as I can tell, it exists to support farmers who allow the consumer to come and pick their own fruits and vegetables.  It looks like most of these farms are organic, and they also promote local fruit and vegetable festivals.

When I searched the web for a great blueberry pie recipe, I kept going back to this one.  What makes this one different is it’s ease of preparation.  It’s mostly plain old blueberries - not just crust and/or sugar.  What I liked the most was completely skipping the cooking and thickening of the blueberries prior to baking.  The streusel topping was just right - not too sweet or floury.  Much better than a top crust, in my opinion.

If you are like me (with an obsession to change recipes to your liking) - you will only learn by experience.  My problem was that I had more blueberries than the recipe called for and I wanted to use them ALL.  This resulted in a pie that wasn’t quite finished baking - which was hard to tell until it had cooled and I served it.  After putting it back in the oven, it had the beautiful blueberry color and flavor I anticipated - but the crust reflected my double baking.  

The crust recommended is a graham cracker crust - which (in my mind) makes me look lazy.  I tried their “easiest flour pie crust recipe” - and it was certainly good.  But it’s hard to teach an old (stubborn) cook new tricks - so next time I will use my own favorite “No-Fail Pie Crust” (link is HERE)
If you follow the recipe to the letter (not adding more berries than it calls for) and bake until you see the juices bubbling (my mistake) - you will have a stellar pie.

For the full recipe, directions, and photos - go to:

1 comment:

  1. I think that's the prettiest blueberry pie ever! I love your beautiful pie plate.

    ReplyDelete